Thursday, June 28, 2012

QR Code Scavenger Hunt!

I usually do a scavenger hunt every year with hard copies of the clues placed in envelopes and hidden around the school. I teach 6th graders, and this is their first time coming to the big, scary middle school, so this is a fun little way to show them around. This past year, a sweet little student asked me why I didn’t just save time/paper/effort and use QR codes. DUH! Thanks, Meredith! :)


Thus, the QR Scavenger Hunt was born! It took me a while to figure the logistics of the whole thing out--my brain just doesn't work that way! Honestly, I haven't tested this out with kiddos yet, but I pink puffy heart love how it turned out! 






HOW IT WORKS:
Basically, all you have to do is divide the students into groups, making sure that each group has at least one smartphone/ipod/ipad/etc. with a QR code reader on it. (This is a FREE app. Just type in "free qr code reader" into the app store, and pick one to download. Some are more fancy than others, but they all get the job done!)


Once the students are divided up, go over the rules--don't run in the hallways, stick together, inside voices, no running away (you think I'm kidding--happened to me last year...IN 6TH GRADE!), etc. Then, have each group scan the first clue. You could either print it off, or project onto the screen.


Scavenger Hunt Clue Number One!
(This is what the students will see!)




I send the groups off a couple minutes apart so that they are actually reading the clues, and not just chasing each other around the building. I'm going to have one person in each group be in charge of "keeping time" on their phones. The group that finishes with the shortest time, wins! But really, they're all winners. They got to do something really fun at school! Heehee!


TEACHER STUFF:
Open up this file, and print the pages. Each page will be a poster to hang around the school (they're labeled with the location). Next, work your teacher magic on the kids so that they know how to behave in the hallways. (I usually send out an email to the whole school to let them know that I have groups of kids wandering around the hallways WITH my permission.) Finally, send them off on their hunt! There are 10 clues total, so it shouldn't take too long...


*In order for the QR codes to actually link to something, I created a very, very, very basic website. Nothing fancy. Here's the link to that site: http://qrscavengerhunt.wordpress.com/ There are different pages for the clues, but the kids should only see the clue that they scanned.

Well, what do you think? Hopefully, you can use this with your class!  
~Ansley

19 comments:

  1. I really love this idea!

    Thanks,
    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't find the normal comment button on here, so I'll just reply to Elizabeth's comment and hope you see it.
      I LOVE this idea! We just got five iPads for my room and I'm TOTALLY going to use this during the first week of school! I'm your newest follower! Keep up the awesome work!

      Delete
  2. Thank you! I think it'll be a lot of fun during the first week of school. :)

    ~Ansley
    Creating Brain Wrinkles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of using QR codes, and am collecting ideas for my 3rd grade classroom. Thanks for this great one!

    I'm awarding you the One Lovely Blog award!

    Julie
    Math is Elementary

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE THIS! What a great use of technology! I'll be a new follower soon (I'm on an iPhone app right now :)
    Allie
    The-gypsy-teacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog! Excited to be your newest follower!

    Mallory @ {6th Grade} All-Stars

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've given you two blog awards! Check out the latest post on my blog to pick them up :)
    Lauren
    Adventures in Sixth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Thanks for sharing; I was planning on doing something like this to get the kids used to QR codes before using them in lessons. Now I don't have to make my own!

    ✿Lynn
    Inside this Book

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yeah, I'm also your newest follower!

    ✿Lynn
    Inside this Book

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in the Mystery Blog Hop and just discovered your blog. Like your idea on how to use QR codes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I just nominated your blog for an award. Come to my new blog and pick up your award!

    ReplyDelete
  11. After exploring your blog, I have awarded you the Versatile Blog Award! Stop by to claim the button!

    ✿Lynn
    Inside this Book

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blog! I am your newest follower too! You sound exactly like me...I currently have a clipboard project going and seek to make crafty projects to show the world (*family, friends, boyfriend) that I, uh, don't sit and eat peanut butter with chocolate chips all day watching wedding shows on TLC....in my pajamas. :) I'm also a 6th grade ELA & Science teacher in NY!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your hunt! I just nominated you for 2 awesome awards over at my blog! Come pick them up at The Gypsy Teacher!
    Allie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this! Thank you so much for sharing this amazing idea with everyone.

    I love your blog name! I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance.


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your wedding and your awesome blog! I'm your newest follower. I noticed you've been getting a lot of awards, but I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. Please stop by my blog to pick it up!

    - Sarah
    writeonfourthgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey! I absolutely LOVE your QR Code scavenger hunt. There is an awesome QR code generator that you can actually link a photo to so you wouldn't have to create the site or have confusion as to which clue they are on. I think it would save you a lot of work actually :)! It is very easy to use and I would be happy to help you through the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats, I just nominated you for The Liebster Award is given by bloggers to up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. It is to show new bloggers that they are appreciated, and to help spread the word about new blogs.

    Get details by visiting my blog:
    http://drkilgore.blogspot.com/2012/12/wow-woooohooooooo-i-just-got-nominated.html

    ReplyDelete